Founding of the Choir
Pontnewydd Male Choir was founded in 1904 in the Bush Inn Upper Cwmbran by men working in the local industries of coal, steel and on the railway. They were bound together to sing and enjoy music.
Today it still attracts local men who wish to sing for pleasure and benefit from long lasting friendships.
Originally, it was known as the Upper Cwmbran Male Voice Party and sang in its first Eisteddfod in 1906 in Pontyclun.
In 1918, it moved to Pontnewydd Mission Hall to practice and has been associated with Pontnewydd since this date.
By 1924, it has become so recognised for the quality of its singing it was invited to the Royal Albert Hall and has been making regular visits ever since.
In 1930, the choir changed its name to the Pontnewydd United Male Voice Party and has been in continuous existence through two dark World Wars, economic depression, social upheaval and recession.
By 1972, it changed again to be known as Pontnewydd Male Choir, a name now known well in many parts of the UK and has toured extensively in Europe and Canada.
The choir has recently returned from a very successful tour of Normandy to commemorate both World War One and Two plus a tour to Yorkshire in 2017.